Is there room for another option in a decking choice? Many in Europe and now in North America feel there is. Using domestically produced wood and thermally modifying the cellular structure to produce a wood decking that is improved in many ways all without chemical treatment is getting a lot of attention. Domestic species such as Southern Pine, Western Hemlock, Ash, Oak, Poplar, Basswood and others are dried in a specially designed kiln that raise temperatures over 400 degrees and inject steam at precise intervals. The high temperatures and steam convert the sugars and sap of the wood into an inert compound that is non-digestible by molds, bacteria and insects. The process also dries the cellular walls, making them permanently water insoluble resulting in decking more dimensionally stable and resistant to warping. In Europe the popularity of thermally modified decking is growing at a fast rate because they do not have many naturally durable wood options. This process converts locally non-durable wood species into a high performance decking option. Pre-drilling is required and using stainless steel fasteners is always recommended. The process does impart a smell of campfire into the wood which goes away with exposure to the elements and application of a high quality UV protective finish, such as Messmers UV Plus for Hardwoods. Considering cost, looks, and performance we believe Designer Petrified Ash decking another great value! Call one of our sales specialists today to learn more about the newest choice for hardwood outdoor decks. . . Designer Petrified Ash decking.
– Exceptional durability – 25 to 35 year average life expectancy
– Extremely dense – Shows less wear
– Strong – Exceptionally solid, no bounce
– Dimensionally stable – Shows slightly more movement and surface checking that Ipe
– Deep dark brown color – Gorgeous grain
– Low maintenance – Requires an annual application of an oil finish
– Efficiently priced – Approximately 30% less than Ipe
– Uses locally produced woods
|Pattern Name/Number||Pattern Image||Petrified Ash||Nominal Thickness||Nominal Width|
|Click on below for product data sheet||(Click to Enlarge)||Premium Grade||2″||4″||6″||8″||10″||12″|
|5/4×6 Designer Petrified Ash DE001||X||5/4″||X|
|5/4×6 Designer Grooved Petrified Ash DG001||X||5/4″||X|
|5/4×6 Designer Petrified Ash T&G DT001||X||5/4″||X|
- 90% of boards have no knots, 10% of boards can have a small knot 1/4” diameter or less for every 8’.
- Flat grain orientation.
- Occasional end split limited to 6” in length.
- Wane limited to 1/8” x 15% of length on back face for 1” thickness, 1/4” x 15% of length on back face for 5/4″ & 2″ thicknesses.
- Back face can have some skip dressing/torn grain or voids.
- Natural wood characteristics allowed (burled grain and color variation)
- Will contain both heart and sap colors, no blue sap stain.
- Great choice when looking for a high quality appearance.
Finishing and Maintenance Recommendations
|Product||Preparation Required||Recommended Finish||Application||Average Length of Maintenance Cycle||Required Maintenance Steps|
|Designer Petrified Ash Decking||None, it comes dried and sanded ready for prefinishing||Messmers UV-Plus for Hardwoods Finish||1 Coat on all sides and ends||1 to 3 years depending on traffic and exposure to the sun||Prior to refinishing, mix cleaning solution of 2 oz. TSP, 1 quart bleach, 3 quarts of water. Using a pump garden sprayer, spray solution on a wetted deck, let sit 15 minutes, and then power wash.
Allow to dry 2 days, then apply one coat Messmers UV-Plus for Hardwoods Finish